Buying And Selling Property In Jersey City
Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority/ SUEZ require that a Final Water Meter Reading be performed for all property transfers.
If "Final" meter reading is not completed prior to closing, Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority (JCMUA) will hold the new owner responsible for the entire bill even if the billing period preceded his/her ownership.
To protect yourself from charges incurred by the seller you must obtain the reading thirty (30) days prior to the closing. Buyers should have their legal representative request that the seller obtain this Final Water Meter Reading thirty days prior to the closing.
FIVE IMPORTANT THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
- Sellers: Request a FINAL WATER METER READING from SUEZ prior to closing. You must request a final meter reading at least a month in advance of the closing. Call SUEZ at 800.575.4433 to schedule an appointment.
- New Buyers: Don’t become responsible for services you didn’t use. If no "Final" Water Meter Reading is completed prior to closing, JCMUA will hold the new owner responsible for the entire bill, even if the billing period preceded his/her ownership.
- Sellers need to stop automated bill payments before the sale is final. Visit www.mysuezwater.com or call 800.575.4433 for more information.
- Sellers who have opted to participate in the Home Serve Service Line Protection Program should visit www.homeserveusa.com or call (877) 963- 4856 to cancel their service line protection coverage.
- Sellers must unenroll from their SUEZ Account before the sale is final. Unenroll to stop receiving leak notifications and paperless bills. Visit www.mysuezwater.com or call SUEZ at 800.575.4433 for more information.